Cheap tires?

I know we've talked before about which tires are best for specific
applications (autox, street driving, etc.), but I'm going to ask the
question with a stipulation - low cost.  What's a good tire for general
street use that will provide adequate roadholding, decent rain/snow/ice
traction (I'm in the midwest, where we get this white fluffy stuff on the
ground when it gets cold!), and not cost me an arm and a leg?  I really
ought to replace all 4 tires because 3 of them leak, and this would be a
good chance for me to buy a matched set.  I'm on stock rims and a tight
budget.  I don't want to just buy a cheap tire and then find out later that
a good, cheap tire is available.

TIA!
Aaron
'84 Scirocco - Woo-hoo!