Re: identifying marks, enigine/Tranny..

Chris,
E-mail David Guido at DavidG1952@aol.com .
He has a brand new Heron head and can give you
any particulars you might need.

Anyone out there looking to purchase such a setup,
he has it for sale along with 8 pistons (4 spares) all
brand new. I've seen it and it is a piece of art. 8)

Randy B.
Cosmos 81 Scirocco S - soon to be 2.0L 16V
Mars 81 Scirocco S - t t 1847cc

Chris wrote:

>this thing has so much more pick up then mine did and the timing belt is
>off, i went from 50-90 in like 4-5 seconds, my other rocco with a 1.7 crept
>up there, but the front of the block says 1.6, which all the blocks said
1.6
>in between 2 and 3 sparkplug, but it also has an H next to it...
>how would i go about finding out if the head is a "Heron" head?
>chris
>
>> Well, I don't know if it's a shitload, but, the 1.6 with the older style
>> exhaust manifold actually put out a few more horsepower than the 1.7.
The
>> 1.7 should feel a little torquier (is that a word?) than the 1.6 because
>of
>> the longer stroke.  To look for the "H", it's on the backside of the
block
>by
>> the firewall.  A 1.6 will have a big "1.6" stamped on it and the 1.7 will
>> have an "H".  Since it says 1.6 on the head, it's probably a 1.6, I don't
>> think the 1.7 head had any such markings on it other than the part # and
>"VW
>> Germany" on it.
>>
>> Maybe you got super lucky and you got a 1.6 with the European "Heron"
>style
>> GTI head...THAT would have a shitload of power...along the lines of 110
HP