From: owner-scirocco-l@scirocco.org
[mailto:owner-scirocco-l@scirocco.org]On Behalf Of Aaron Aunins
Sent: Thursday, December 28, 2000 4:18 PM
To: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
Subject: Spark plug wire testing

Hi everyone,

     I've just purchased a multimeter, and want to test the spark plug wires
on my 87 16V.  The multimeter has two test leads, and two alligator clips to
attach to them.  I looked up the procedure in the Bentley manual on how to
measure the resistance. I detached the spark plug wire for the number one
cylinder, and tried to apply the test lead to the long end of the spark plug
wire which goes into the cylinder head.It wouldn't fit, so I had to attach
the alligator clip, and push this up the rubber sleeve until it just touched
the connector inside.  I had to do this about three or four times per wire
to get a constant reading. I ended up with 5.5Kohm for 3 wires and 6.5 kohm
for the other one.  I guess I need new wires. Shit. My question though, is
what is the best way to reach the end of the spark plug wire which goes into
the cylinder head?  I think my readings may be biased because the leads may
not have been attached properly.  Also while on the topic of spark plug
wires, does anyone reccomend the blue igniter wires?  I remember someone
saying the nology wires suck. Am I better off just getting stock
replacements?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated,

Aaron
87 16V Scirocco
87 GL5 Quantum