RE: Help!

Check for spark.

You don't need a cold start valve to start the car, even in cold weather.
It just makes it easier.  The power circuit for my cold start on my '84 was
open and I never got around to fixing it before parting it out because it
always started fairly easily, as long as everyting else was up to par.

Do you have a Bentley, or even a Haynes?  If it's spark, Haynes walks you
through it pretty easily, and Bentley goes into more detail.  If you have a
timing light, put it on and crank the engine.  If it flashes, it's probably
a fuel problem.  If you don't have a light, and you have a helper, check for
spark against a ground at one of the ignition wires while cranking.  If you
don't have a light or a helper, you'll have to resort to checking for
voltage with a meter per Bentley or Haynes.

If it's spark, see if you have 12V at the coil.  I had a similar problem
with my '82 (usually ran fine, but then one day it started and ran for a few
seconds before it died), and I only had about 6V at the coil.  My temporary
fix was to run a wire from the battery to the coil and connect it before
starting the car.  The permanent fix in my case was to replace the
fuse/relay panel, which seems to have done the trick.  A bad hall sender, or
no power to the hall sender, is also a likely cause of no spark.

I just thought of something else - how many miles are on your timing belt?
Could it have snapped?  You should be able to see the cam turning with the
crank if you take off the oil filler cap, IIRC.  If it's broken, you haven't
stuffed any valves because you don't have an interference engine, if it's
stock.

Sorry this isn't very organized - I'm on my way out the door and don't have
my head together.  HTH.

Aaron
'82 Scirocco
'70 Beetle