Re: Question - Seat relocation

On Thu, 28 Dec 2000 14:22:47 -0000 "Andy Holmes" <scalainj@hotmail.com>
writes:
> A mate of mine wishes to purchase a Scirocco (cheap and plentiful
> over here). He tried mine and loves it but the problem is that he
doesn't
> fit even with the seat height at its lowest and my small Momo wheel.
The
> intrinsic problem is that his head is on the roof lining and he
> wishes to know whether there is any way to go about lowering the seat
still
> further so he can in without tilting his head. Mine does however have a
sunroof
> so this restricts space but to get him comfortable in mine required
removal
> of the under dash tray and a small st.wheel.

I can think of 2 ways to solve the driver's seat height.

You can take the driver's seat apart and shave down the foam seat
cushion.

I repaired a floor on an '80 Scirocco once, and after I installed the
donor floor,
the whole driver's side floor including the 3 seat mounts, it put the
seat up too high.
Using a set of red plaid '82 Scirocco seats, I took the driver's side
seat apart and removed part of the cushion material.
It was enough that my head would clear the headliner, and it didn't
affect the comfort.

You could also take the seat apart and modify the bracket, so that the
seat sits lower.
Or if it is a Mk.2, you could use an A2 Golf or Jetta seat frame and
modify that instead of the Scirocco seat frame.
Basically you would have to cut the 2 rear post mounts, so that the seat
sits as low as possible.
This would of course do away with the height adjustment, but if you
alwaus have it all the way down,
it's a good way to solve the height problem and shed some unnecessary
weight.
A passenger side A2 GTI or GLi, has the fixed height posts.
You can use a regular A2 Golf or Jetta seat without the side bolsters,
and weld in the bottom side bolsters
from the Scirocco seat, and then transfer the bottom Scirocco upholstery
and the seatback to the modified A2 seat frame.

Btw, make sure that the foam is shaved down on the underside of the seat
cushion.

Peter
'79 Scirocco 16V project car
'83 GTI "Caged Rabbit"