Idiot PO, and stubborn Rabbit

Tried to get the 'rocco S started today.  And learned how incompetent the PO
was(more like POS).  The car wasn't getting any fuel, even though the PO put
in a new fuel pump.  I'm sure it was new at one time.  The pump was hose
clamped to a brake line, had a power wire running from the fuse box, and
ground wire going to the rear axle, because the factory wires were cut off.
After fixing the wiring harness, I hooked up the pump backwards.  Lesson
learned, don't use the same color wires for negative and positive.  Not sure
if that ruined the pump, but it didn't work after I hooked it up the right
way.  I don't want to buy a new pump, because I've got an extra.  Only
problem is it's still in a 'rocco buried under two feet of snow.

Since it doesn't look like the 'rocco is going to be running anytime soon,
I'll have to get my Rabbit running.  It runs fine, once it gets started.  It
doesn't have any problems starting, as long as the temp is above 45.  From
about 45 to 35 it starts after cranking for a long time.  Below 35, nothing,
if I keep the starter engaged it sounds like it's trying to run, but once I
release the key it dies.  It will backfire occasionally too.  The cold start
injector works, and the timing is set correctly.  Any ideas on what's wrong?
It's a 1.7 CIS with O2 sensor.

Kenneth
1980 Scirocco S
1983 Rabbit