Resistor vs Non-resistor plugs

Hey all:

	For my stock 1.7L EN motor with CIS, should I be running the resistor type
or non-resistor type of plug?  Although my car is a '81 California model
(I've assumed), it doesn't have the idle stabilizer.  It currently has NGK
BPR6ES (not sure where the "R" is actually positioned since I'm not at my
car now) whereas I was given the BP6ES.  As a point of comparison, my
owner's manual specifies a Bosch WR7 vs W7 for the Califonia car (Beru and
Champion analogs also listed).  Will the non-resistor plug interfere with
the ignition module?  Was the resistor type used solely to keep the idle
stabilizer happy?  Thanks for any help.

Must have the letter "R" at any cost, benton------

P.S.  How do you side gap plugs and has anyone any experience with them, pro
or con?

P.P.S.  I'd rather avoid a discussion of NGK vs Bosch plugs.