Cams and Timing

I've been having problems getting my 84 Scirocco 8V timed up properly.  I
managed to get it started but not the correct way.  I aligned the crank to
TDC, cam dot to the top of the head and aligned the rotor to #1 cylinder.
It would NOT start even if I tried to play with the distributor.  So......I
flipped the ditributor 180 degrees to cylinder 3 and she started.  However,
she don't wanna rev past 3000 rpms.  The compression is awesome in all four
cylinders ( I just had the head rebuilt).    Any ideas?  Could the cam have
been installed incorrectly when it was rebuilt?  Was it a bad thing that I
flipped the distributor 180 degrees? I can't see why it would not be okay.

Any ideas.  Thanks

Sal
81 Scirocco 16V
84 Scirocco Wolfie