Re: engine swap

At 10:14 PM 12/18/00 -0500, John Lagnese wrote:
>Hi,
>I'm lining up some engines to replace the 1.7 gas in my 83 Audi 4000.
>The one with a rod knock.

>87 GTI engine with tranny 120K $300 private sale. Says its an 8V, but
>were there 87 GTI w/o 16V?

 Yes there was.  It was was the same as the '86 and was made until they got
the 16V out in the GTI-16V are much more common of course, so don't suspect
they made many 8Vs.  When the 16V came out was about the(maybe the exact)
time that they went to a one window door as opposed to the previous 2
window door(non opening vent and the roll down).  And to answer the comment
made by another lister- the GT was basically an 8V GTI w/o the good brakes.
 They made them for a while and in '90 they made GTI line in 8 and 16V, the
8V being more  of a appearance package than anything.

John C. Worden
Wayne, Maine

'98 Dakota 4x4-Overdrive is finished
'86 Scirocco 8V-
'81 Scirocco 2.0 16V - Needs an oil pump gear