Re: [comment] VWoA...WTF?

In a message dated 12/15/00 1:09:47 PM Pacific Standard Time,
jason@scirocco.org writes:

Woohoo!! I hadn't heard about that one!

Is it just emissions, or also fuel economy (though they tend to go
hand-in-hand.  Tend... I said TEND).

I'm not sure. I remember seeing it on the news a while back, but don't
remember the exact details. It was something they were talking about that
Clinton signed and stuff.

The amazing thing is that GM's antiquated engine designs are actually
incredible fuel efficient.  I remember seeing (or reading) a report about
the venerable 3.8 liter pushrod V6... apparently it is one of the most
efficient engines produced today -- in terms of fuel efficiency and
emissions...

Of course they've been developing and refining that engine since the year
of the flood.  Their SUV engines are pigs, period...   But they're coming
out with the whole new family of modular inline 4- 5- and 6-cylinders -- so
maybe they'll revolutionize GM!

doubtful. The end of the internal combustion engine is within our grasp, and
the answer is not more fuel efficient Tuna Boats which still get that still
only get marginal gas mileage, but smaller, lighter, more aerodynamic cars
which use fuel much more sparingly. The stuff isn't going to last forever.

(I'm not holding my breath!)

Jason

Mike
http://www.geocities.com/vwmikel
'84-Arkay Turbo Rabbit GTI
'84-Rabbit GTI - uh.....
'77-Rabbit - project
'80-Scirocco S - (um... to be:1.9L crossflow, turbo, 6 speed, widebody?)