Re: [comment] VWoA...WTF?

I know, I know, they "look" cool.

But they're not competitive in the USA.  Chances are, it's an A1 chassis
under there.  It has asbestos brake pads on front discs, rear *drums*, no
power steering, comes standard with a 1.4 liter engine, no ABS, no Airbags,
no radio, no power windows... in short, no nothing.   Brasilian VWs, as
with branches of many car companies that are located in developing
countries, are not the things that Americans as a whole want to drive.  Can
you imagine that even if VW would ever get that thing past US Safety
standards, people would tolerate a pickup with 175-75 SR-13 tires and only
22sq-ft of cargo space?  That's a 4x5 bed!  Americans bitch about S-10s
that have "only" 4.3 liter V6s and can't hold a 4x8 sheet of plywood -- and
you can't get leather..

Shame, really, because it's a cute truck.  But believe me, it ends
there.  Not that I'm not a 'purist' -- but based on my personal experience
with "cute" South American cars, the fire dwindles the first time you have
a panic attack cause the thing is so scary at 40mph...

Jason

At 03:20 PM 12/14/00 , you wrote:
>I have a general comment here regarding VWoA...
>Why is it that all the really cool VW's are not being sold here in the USA?
>I mean, I can get a Jetta, Golf, Passat, or Vanagon. Why can't we get cool
>cars like these...
>
>http://www.volkswagen.com.br/frmset.phtml?id=4
>
>...I mean, I LOVE my Scirocco, but I'd like a Saveiro, that's one cool-ass
>truck! And with proper marketing would provide stiff competition to that
>market.
>
>OK, I'll stop [ranting] now.
>
>No one has to comment....I just wanted to get that off my chest.
>
>Dan
>'87 16v 'Rocco
>'00 Jetta
>'00 Saveiro (wishing........)