Automatic to 5 spd....is it possible?

How hard is it to change an automatic car to a standard?   is it worth it?

I can pick up an autmatic '84 Jetta for $500cdn and it is in MINT shape.  not a spec of rust, perfect (but blue) interior and ive never seen a headliner that clean before.....it's idling very high, like 3-4k, but I'm sure I can fix that....probably the timing or idle screw....something simple.

the only thing holding me back is that it's automatic.  I have an '86 parts GLi which I can use the RD motor and 9A tranny from, but how tough would this swap be?  is it possible?

TIA
Casey
84 Roc
88 Golf .....for sale