Re: [Tech]: O2 sensors

>From: "Chris DeLong" <green536@hotmail.com>
>
>ok, if you disonnect the freaky valve and the lambda switch then you
>basically have a regular CIS system. Any adjustments made at idle will
>affect the entire rpm range. just cause you adjust it at idle doesnt mean
>it wont change the geometry inside the fuel dist/air box assy.

That's what I thought too, at first. But That's not what my air fuel gauge
was telling me. Stoich at idle dropped off below the scale when the motor
was revved, even just a bit.

I have 2 bits of evidence to back up what I previously stated ("You need to
get the whole distributor from a non-O2 equipped car")

1. Simply disconnecting the frequency valve is the same to the fuel
distributor as having a frequency valve connected, but running at 0% duty
cycle. That will make it run lean

2. The mixture adjustment screw is ONLY for idle mixture adjustment. It does
NOT have the same effect over the whole airflow range. Here's a quote from
Charles O. Probst (from his awesome book "How to Understand, Service, and
Modify Bosch FI and engine management" Chapter 7, section 5.2, Part "Mixture
Adjustments" Paragraph 3)

"Competitors in the now defunct SCCA Rabbit/Bilstein Cup racing series (for
near-stock, Volkswagen Rabbit sedans equipped with K-basic) used to
carefully adjust the idle mixture to a very rich setting-the rules
prohibited any real modifications. The result was that the large enrichment
in fuel mixture at idle brought with it a smaller but meaningful enrichment
at high rpm, where it would give a little more power."

The key point here is that the _Large_ enrichment at idle does NOT cause the
same enrichment at high rpm.

HTH

Jonas
85 Scirocco 2.0