[OT] Fun at the Parts Counter

Folks,

As you will see this is not a VW only thread, but the owners of hybrid
cars out there will especially sympathize.

It's another reason why doing biz w/ Mike & Mark is such a blessing.

TBerk
btw- this is not my own authoring, just a passing along. Edits are mine.

> A. H. wrote:
> [...]
> provide enough tension. My question is if any one else has dealt with
> this problem of a loose belt because the damn bracket is too short. I
> am using the correct belt specified, and I can not imagine that they
> were leaving the factory with this problem, but I do not know what
> else could have been done other than cutting and extending the length
> of the bracket (perhaps finding a smaller belt?).

One of the fun parts about owning a [car that you drive] is going down
to your local
parts store for parts.  "Yes, I'd like an alternator belt for an 19xx
[Model you own]."  Always the same thing:

1- the guy behind the counter goes into some weird facial contortions as
expressions of confusion, jealousy, and raw hate[*] vie for control over
his face
2- He fights with the computer for a minute and then says "well I'll be
damned, it's listed in the computer!"
3a- if you're looking for anything besides belts, he says "but we don't
have it."
3b- if it's a belt, he says "well I'll be damned, we even have one!"
4- He brings you the belt that showed up on the computer.
5- You go back to the car, only to realize that the belt is either 1"
too big or 1" too small.
6- You go back to the store with the new belt and the old belt and
explain to the guy behind the counter the problem.
7- You drive back to wherever you were working because you forgot to
bring the receipt with you, and there are "no returns without receipt"
(the fact that you just talked to this zeeb 5 minutes ago means nothing
... there's not even the slightest glimmer of recognition in his eyes
when you walk through the door the second time)
8- Drive back again with the receipt and the two belts and say "I'm
back!"  The guy says "great!  Who are you?" so you explain to him again
that you need this belt.
9- He looks in the computer and says "nope, that's the belt you need."
You show him the old belt from the car, and demonstrate that it's a
different size than the new one.
10- He says "that's what the computer says.  Your old belt must have
shrunk/stretched."
11- You patiently explain that while that might (in theory) be the case,
the old belt FITS THE CAR and the new belt DOES NOT.  You decide not to
stress your brain by wondering how a belt could shrink, especially if
it's installed on the car.
12- Guy behind the counter calls the manager because he doesn't want to
talk to you any more
13- Manager apologizes and goes in search of the proper belt
14- Manager comes back with one that's the right size but wrong part
number; you go home happy.

Do this enough times, and you'll end up with the manager's business
card, and he tells you to just ask for him when you come in.

This is why you always need a spare car to run back and forth to the
parts shop with.  And just take your old parts with you...
--
E.

[*] - raw hate because now he has to work the computer