Re: TECH:Throttle body bolts/ two in one day...almost

 First, thanks to everyone who responded to my question. I went out to both
cars this morning, the Fox and Rocco, with throttle bodies in hand along with
tools o'destruction, and a stereo. It's about 30-35 degrees. Perfect day. I
decided to swap the Fox's TB first, after all, it's later so I shouldn't have
any problems with it, right? Same bolt, stuck like all hell. Great, now I
have two cars to beat, drill and pummel.
  First I tried the CV bolt socket. No luck, too rounded out by then. I
started hammering a large Torx bit in, changed my mind and went to the drill.
After a while I realized that Craftsman drill bits are also crap. I had
drilled most of the head away and started on what was left with a chissel,
cutting off bits and pieces of the remainder of the bolt head. When over half
of it was gone, the bolt started turning. Lovely. cleared the rest of the
bolt, removed the throtle body and pulled the remainder of the bolt with vise
grips.
  With Fox TB in hand I got a good look at all three. The model from an Audi
GT, with a primary valve the same size as the Fox's and what looks like a
manhole cover for the secondary. Then I notice that the MKII TB looks just
like the Fox TB, only clean (bought at different times, so I never noticed
before). Now I'm going back for another Audi TB for the Rocco.
  In any case, the Fox runs like mad now and only had to adjust the idle air
bypass screw about 1/4 turn to get it down to about 900rpm. Think of what it
would be like to drive with one plug wire gone, then connect the wire. That
much of a difference. Throttle response is crisp, instant, with a stiffer
return. The K&N filter now has a reason to be on the car.

Carl
77rocco (waiting Audi parts)
89fox(now it needs an exaust, oh look, TT just sent a catalog...)