Re: CLARIFICATION: Need M/C Bench Bleed info

On Fri, 1 Dec 2000 08:08:46 -0500 "RoccoPhil" <roccophil@mindspring.com>
writes:
> My previous post about brake bleeding was vague and off.  I meant M/C
> bench bleed kits.  Who feels these are necessary and why?  As I stated
> previously, I've bolted the new M/C up to the booster and done normal
bleed
> procedures without a bench bleed kit.  So what is the deal?
>
> -PK

I do, and I always bench bleed my M/cyl's.

The bench bleed kit gets rid of all the air in the M/cyl.
You connect the BB lines to the M/cyl outputs and run the hoses into the
reservoir.
You then pump the shaft, until there are no more air bubbles.
I use my small brass hammer, with the shaft inside the piston and the
head of the hammer against a wall, and push the M/cyl against the wall.

After you bench bleed it, put the outlet plugs back in as you remove the
plastic threaded fittings.
Bolt it to the booster, and take out the plugs one at a time, and thread
on the steel line.
This prevents brake fluid from spilling all over your hands and car.

Then bleed the brakes until all the old fluid is out of the system, and
you have no air bubbles.

HTH,
Peter
'79 Scirocco 16V project car