my problem

well i recenetly just changed my head gasket on my 88 16v...and have everything back together, but the car still doesn't run...it will start up and idle, but whenever i give it gas it there is absolutely no response, whether i hit the padal or use the throttle...

i thought it was a timing problem, but i no longer think this is the case because as it idles i can turn the distributor and notice the change as the timing is advanced and retarded...and i still get no responce from the throttle/gas...

could it be the hall sender?  a vacuum leak?

i'm at a loss as to what my problem is here...everything was working fine before i to the head of to changet the head gasket...this has also been taking me soo long to finish, because i'm currently working 35-40 hours a week and going to school so the time i have to work on my car is limited...if i can't get this figured out soon, i might take it to a local mechanic i know who drives a heavily modded gti...

ps. peter i have your door and fender, and will get them up to you just as soon as i get my car moving...

-doug