1.8L Need Help

Okay so I tried to get the idiot selling the motor to find the engine code
and he could come up with nothing.  The engine came from a 84 GTI.  This is
foresure.  So if this is the case, what could the engine codes be?  A
compression test before it was pulled from the wrecked car is as
follows...160-165-160-165 psi or something like that.  Is this good?  Now I
know this depends on what engine it is, and if it's a JH then it is good,
but I thought that that 84 GTI's had the 10:1 RD engine in them???  If you
got any answers for me please let me know.  TIA Sorry for asking twice
about this thing, but the guy selling it is a complete moron and I am
getting it for almost nothing.

Jody bailey
82 Scirocco 8v (on jack stands waiting for a "heart" donor)
85 Scirocco 8v (running strong)