Fuel system cleaner...?

Hi guys,

I've had my car in town for a fairly long time, except for the occasional
10 mile or so trip to the next town up the highway.  As it turns out,
I'll be going on a long highway trip tomorrow.  I've recently noticed
what seems to be a rough-ish idle when the car is cold and a lack of low
end power.

I've heard that carbon can build up in the engine and cause such symptoms
and that running it clear of traffice at high RPM's can help clean the
engine of these deposits.  What I'd like to know is if adding a fuel
system cleaner at the same time is a good idea.  I've heard some bad
things about them in the past (on this list?), but I don't recall the
substance of what was said.  If one is to be used, are there any brands
that stand out (that won't hurt my wallet too much)?

Timothy A Reed, Esq.
t.a.reed.esq@juno.com
Moses approached the thick darkness where God was
Exodus 20:21