From: Ben Rogowski [mailto:bgr13@mn.rr.com]
Sent: Tuesday, August 22, 2000 2:41 AM
To: Scirocco List
Subject: '79 Mk1 16V conversion complete, but no start

Well, it's been quite an odyssey, but my '79 Scirocco is all put back
together. (except for the interior, but that's another story).  However, as
is typically the case with these things, it won't start now.  My donor
engine came out of an '87 GTI and a friend and I completely rewired the car
using as much of that harness as we could.  The fuel pump turns on with the
key, and there's plenty of fuel pressure, at least at the cold-start valve.
(I forgot to fully tighten that one, causing a little gasoline shower.)
Does this mean the rest of the injectors are pressurized too?

The problem appears to be spark related.  I've got duplicates of all
computers, but both my GTI and the Scirocco 16V donor car ran just before
they were wrecked.  I'd like to check all of the other stuff before I mess
with the computers.  I'm going to do a full test per the Bentley tomorrow,
it's just too damn late now.  If anyone's got some hints or tips, or if you
just want to commiserate about your 16V swap, then please email me.

Three hours of sleep before work.  Woo-Hoo!

Ben R
Membership Coordinator
<http://www.volksport.com>
Volksport GTI and Watercool Volkswagen Club
"We support your VW Performance Addiction."