Re: 16V Scirocco top speed GPS

In a message dated 8/23/00 10:53:39 AM Eastern Daylight Time, DNK006@aol.com
writes:

<< Not to burst anyones buble here, but I have a GPS.  Yes, it gives exact
speed
 to .1 MPH.  And yes, VW Speedo's are optimistic.  I have tested it with two
 different speedos (both 120's)  and it turns out, 70MPH on the speedo is
like
 63, 90 on the speedo is about 82 actual. >>

GPS are cool.  But I see why you might be getting the large difference
between your GPS and the speedometer.  On Aircraft all of the GPS units I
have used, use Nautical miles and not statute miles.  I am not sure if the
hand held unit you are using does this but that would explain the large
difference.

If your Gps is reading 63 NMph (nautical) that would convert to 72 SMph
(Statute) using my flight computer (can't remember the conversion factor at
this time) . So If I am correct in my reasoning than your speedo is more
accurate than you thought it was. Gps reading of 90Nmph would be 103 Smph.

Brian 86 16v
http://hometown.aol.com/captnbr/myhomepage/auto.html