Re: Homemade Short Shift

Pound/heat the lever on the tranny flat so it looks like a straight up "L".
drill a 14mm hole about 3/4-1 inch down from the original hole. Lengthen the
lever on the firewall the exact same amount of distance that you drilled the
hole on the other lever. If you only do the part on the tranny you might
have difficulty engaging gears. HTH

>I recently picked up a selector lever from a 5 speed A1 at the junkyard.
>The thing is shaped like an upside down "L" with some bends and a hole in
>the bottom part. This is how I remembered mine being, however, when I
>went and looked at it yesterday just out of curiousity, I found mine is a
>little different. It has a little bid of a crook to the left on the part
>with the bends in it, and it just looks weird! Whats the deal with this? I
>thought Sciroccos had the same linkage as other A1s. Should I be able to
>use the selector lever I got at the junkyard anyway to make a short
>shifter and will I need to adjust the linkage somehow?
>
>That aside, what is the best way to make a homemade short shift kit.
>Someone said to pound it flat and drill a 14mm hole, other places I've
>read you can just bend the 45 degree angles until they're 90 degree
>angles. I dont see why you'd need to weld on more metal for any way of
>doing it.. shouldn't you be shortening the bottom part of the L in order
>to shorten the throw? Or do you lengthen it...? Someone with a short shift
>kit please clear this up for me.
>
>Thanks,
>
>-Toby
>
>--