Re: 16V Scirocco top speed

On Tue, 22 Aug 2000 05:15:24 GMT "Chris DeLong" <green536@hotmail.com>
writes:

> Well I havent had much opportunity to push the rocco but my 8V
> rabbit did  135 MPH. Although I have gotten the rocco speedo to point
to the
> very bottom of the speedo(100MPH MAX speedo). And that was at about
4.6k rpm's.
Drive it at 2300 rpm in 5th gear and take the indicated speed and
multiply it by 2.
For an example, if it is 55 MPH @ 2300 RPM, then your speed at 4600 RPM
is 110 MPH.
I'm curious to hear what that is... <g>

I was allegedly clocked at 130 MPH in my R.I.P. '81 Scirocco S, JH/FF...
When I first installed the 1.8L it just had an 85 MPH speedo, and I
remember running it all out on 495, at the end I let off the gas and it
took like 10 seconds for the needle to come off of the peg. :^)

> slightly

> > > Well, if you can possibly believe it, Jason (TMB) and I were
> going somewhere past 132 mph a couple of days ago...probably close to
> 135 or more....oh my gawd fast in one of these cars...
> > >
> > > ==Brett
> >
> >Yes it is... <g>
> >Is that a 2Y transaxle?
> >
> >When I drove my '88 16V Scirocco on I-95, I would take it to just
> over 125MPH as often as traffic would allow...

Peter
'79 Scirocco 16V project car
'83 GTI
'84 Scirocco, '80 Scirocco, '88 Scirocco 16V