Re: [mk2] headlight relaying

Foxx (in a box) wrote:

>   though i really don't want to cut the wiring harness, i'm in need of
> better lighting. i know there're people out there that've relayed their
> headlights. i used northerlights to search the archive section, but
> didn't come up with much. does anyone out there have a tutorial on how
> to do this?

    Tutorial on how to relay, or how to use the existing wiring without
splicing it?  If you want to use relays without cutting the wire that
runs into the white plugs, one option is to simply buy the large spade
terminals and plug them into the white plugs.  I would avoid using the
ground on the existing harness as you will want to run larger wire for
your ground, but if you want to use the existing plugs and wires as
triggers, just get the large spade terminals.  If you wanted, you could
use the existing ground on the plug for relay ground.

     When you wire the output of the relays to the lights themselves,
you can either use larger female terminals, or get the same type white
plugs and splice the output wires from the relay to those plugs and then
run the plug onto the back of the bulb.  This way if you want to remove
the relay setup, you still have your original wiring all intact.

>   on a related note, i might also upgrade to h1's and h4's at a later
> date. will this drastically alter how the relays will be done. i've both
> an '85 and '86 8c that i'd like to do this on. please let me know.

   Its my understanding that the wire order for the H4 is different than
for the 4x6 sealed beam units.   Its just a matter of rotating the wires
90 degrees, or so the lowbeam wire is situated on the top for the H4.

 Andre'
 Lime Green 79