Re: Toronto Bug Show (long)

LONGLONGLONGLONGLONGLONGLONGLONGLONGLONGLONGLONGLONGLONGLONGLONG

    here we go again, another mad bastard view of the weekend.  yet again, i
must apologize for the long-windedness of my description, but i think that
it's better to be lengthy and precise, then abbreviated and inaccurate.

    plus, with all the drugs i intend to do over the next few years, i'll
probably not have enough brain cells left to spell my name, let alone
remember the specifics of this past weekend.

    right, well, on with my story.  BTW, nice job on the description, brett,
i'll see if i can provide some details that i might've picked up along the
way...

FRIDAY

    the weekend started badly.  i had hoped to get out of work at 3, but
didn't leave til 5.30pm.  this sucked because i had talked to jan folkson at
about 2, and he told me that he was in TO, ready and waiting to hook up.
well, with me about 3 hours from finishing up at work, and a mere hour and a
half from toronto (on a traffic-less day), i was instantly pissed.  both he
and susan were more than capable of taking care of themselves, and had some
time to visit my hometown some, but it still pissed me off that they had no
other choice.  ah well.

    i also talked to daun a couple of times before heading to TO, so it was
good to know that he was going to be attending.  these events just wouldn't
be the same without ya, daun.  same goes for some other people (cammisa
(understandable), nigel (unforgivable), leach (i'm over it already), etc. -
don't feel bad if i didn't mention your name).  i prefer my dub functions to
have these basic ingredients, as well as the ones that were in
attendance....

    but i stray from my path.  friday sucked mad ass.  alee had so kindly
donated the use of her garage to the cause of fixing reda's mk2 16V GTX.
his clutch is yakked, and myself and monsieur horwood took it upon ourselves
to try and help mark (reda) remedy this problem.  i intended to be at alee's
by 5pm, so we could get an early start, but i don't think any work was begun
until at least 8pm.

    on top of that, alee had charged me with the responsibility of

a. greeting our friends and making them feel at home
b. changing the oil in her cab

    sounds easy enuff, but my multiple-task management skills are dogwad.
so, i spent most of the time running around like a chicken with it's head
stuffed up its butt.  during my anal examinations, mark and dave (horwood)
were left to fend for themselves, which was probably just as well, cuz next
to paully, i am second in botch.  i think that it's safe to say that mr.
horwood had the

    jan and susan showed up first in susan's schweet 2000 (or is it a 2001?)
passat sedan.  1.8T and tiptronic stylin from the manhattan contingent.
very nice indeed.  considering the fact that the car is a bloated whale, it
moves suprisingly well.  speaking of bloated whales...congrats on the 11
years of practice finally paying off guys!  :)))

    cope (jim) and robin showed up shortly after in jimmy's phat cab.  i
finally got a chance to look it over this time, and i must say that he has
created a fine machine.  clean as all git out, a goodly amount of power for
highway foolishness, and - my personal fave - those nutty yellow city
lights.  they give the car a crazed look...like some maniacal killer with
jaundiced eyes, ready for the fatal blow...

    next on the list was our man daun.  he showed up a little later than i
expected cuz he ran into ryan and scott as they were leaving london.  holy
good timing, batman.  they stopped for dinner and caused one brunberg a tad
bit of stress (as i expected daun about 40 minutes after my arrival, not 3
hours).  daun arrived to let us know that the power steering pump in his
mint 16V mk2 rocco had given up the ghost on him on the way up.

    paully gave us a shout to say that he was on his way (without that botch
nigel, no less! SALOPE!!).  it was about 11 or so when he called, and he
said that his intention was to sleep on the side of the road for a couple of
hours.  i convinced him that since he was only about 2 and a half hours
away, he should juice himself up on caffeine and make the run.  more on that
in a bit...

    at this point, horwood and reda are busting balls working on the jetta.
by the time i actually had a chance to get in there and help the troops out,
they had loosened the whole lot of it up, and were ready to drop the motor.
alas, weariness was creeping up on us.  and with weariness, comes
frustration and generally bad judgement.  the frustration stemmed from the
fact that the motor had lodged itself on one of the rear mounts, and the
power steering lines were in the way, hindering us from tilting the motor
out enough to remove the tranny.  tho i said that bad judgement usually
happens in such a state, i think that we did well in deciding to put the car
back together before doing any damage or getting ourselves into a nasty
state.  so, there you have it.  we suck.  we couldn't even do a bloody
clutch replacement.  sad.

    i think that we can attribute this whole debacle to the fact that we had
no music to groove while working...

    during our reassembly, a slightly inebriated alee showed up, looking
simply ravishing and in good spirits (or were the good spirits in her?).  i
thankfully had time to swap the oil in her car from dino to synthetic, and
the loud clicking from the lifters soon disappeared.  well done bonhoff!  it
was his suggestion to change from dino to synthetic, and it was, as usual, a
success.

    perry showed up sometime whilst i was under the car...was that at 12.30?
the drugs are starting to kick in already..

    ah yes, just remembered some of that bad judgement...while backing my
car from where it was parked, i slowly backed up while using my rear-view
mirror (i never use it while backing up - i HAVE to turn around and watch),
i could see the passenger-side headlight of  horwood's rental car about 20'
away.  no worries.  i start slowly drifting back until BAM.  i hit
something.  instant understanding of my actions tells me that i just backed
into jejune (jim's cabby).  i damn-near vomited i was so upset.

    i pulled forward, and reefed on my ebrake so hard that i threw it out of
whack (it now will not lock into position).  no worries, it'll get fixed
soon...

    the good news, volks, is that there were no visible markings on either
my car or jim's.  why?  i don't know, but i sure am happy  about it...

    reda made his way home, after some tweaking of the clutch cable and
whatnot by dave, and we headed inside to clean up/sleep at about 2ish, i
think.  at this point, we've heard nothing from la grenouille de l'est, so
i'm getting a little nervous.  to our surprise, angie and marco made their
arrival, completely unannounced.

    not much to talk about at this point.  sleep came swiftly to us.

SATURDAY

    morning came even more switly!  the plans to get to the autoX at 8am
were now changed to getting to the autoX by about 10am.

    paully was nowhere to be found!  i was really getting worried, and made
mention of this, when jim, i think, informed me that botch-master maione had
just entered the building.  let the festival of love begin. (wow, paully
**just** popped up on my ICQ list right now.  that's fucked)

    horwood and myself in my roc, perry in his mk4 golf TDI, paully in the
16V mk2 roc, and marco in the corrado SLC (that's got a VR6, for all you
canucks that didn't know).  busting 170 for about the entire 30kms that we
were on the highway, we made some really good time.  and if you had any
doubts, perry was with us the whole time.  that diesel has some nice top end
on it.

    so we get to the place, and the autoX ends up costing $30!  goddamn.
well, i guess that there's overhead that needs covering.  i gotta say that i
sorta didn't like the track, because it was strictly a first gear track.  it
was well laid out, however, and everything was executed quickly and
professionally.  props to my man phil for setting the joint up and to
everyone else there for making the day a success.  can't wait til next year
(tho i think that some third gear redline straights are in order ;))

    i'm now going to give highlights of the autoX.  horwood and i both ran
my car all day long, marco beat on the corrado, bonhoff had the GTI, perry
in the TDI, andrew (yeung) in his beautiful cabbie-kitted mk1 GTI, sandor in
his much-unloved GTI (fuck aircooled for now, dude...concetrate on the
H2O)...and...shit, i don't know who else was there.  i was too busy paying
attention to my car on the track.  with autocross rubber, i'd have cleaned
up that day.  c'est la vie.  i ended up placing third overall, with bonhoff
grabbing first outright.  i think that he bested us all on every single lap,
but that's what happens when you bribe the timers with sexual favours
OOOOOHHHHHHHH!!!  hehe  and my personal fave: meeting up with one of the
creators of the bugshow.  i see this cat every year, and every year, i say
"yes scott!  what's up, guy!?  and he always answers "it's sean".  oh.  i
just can't help it...who's cookin my next hit?

    there were a few of cars there worth mentioning, like my buddy eric's
full-rollcage equipped, super-clean, super-worked 2.0 8V mk1 GTI, and a
near-mint, original paint 1975 scirocco, but i think that my fave of all
(barring my car of course) was a mid-80s Audi coupe that must've been
dropped at least 5 inches.  i swear, this car looked absolutely massive
hunkered down that low.  and it sounded SO sweet.  really loud, and very
obtrusive, but oh so sexy.  there will be pix eventually, and you'll see
what i mean.

    stuff i remember from the day: completely killing the rest of the tread
of my A520s; super-fast rotation done by me, horwood, and marco; dave sunn's
gorgeous VR6 mk2 golf creeping around the lot; horwood locking the brakes
and throwing my car sideways whilst eating a couple of cones; chinese food;
paully going off about the dead-hooker-pusher that resided at the back of
the food building; that mental audi...

    anyways, at the end of the day (6pm or so), after all of the free runs,
and whatnot, one of the officials asked if i could take the son of one of
his friends around the track.  this guy was no more than 10, and he had been
giving me the thumbs-up all day, so i had to take him for a spin.  he liked
it.  then magnoli wanted to go for a spin.  i was starting to think that the
tranny/clutch/etc was feeling a little squishy (especially after 2nd gear
eluded me at redline :))

    so, me and magnoli take off around the track, and as i head around a
turn on the far end of the parking lot, i notice a lot of smoke coming from
the hood, and it wasn't from the tires :(

    we head back to where adam, horwood, and...who else, i honestly cannot
remember at the moment... were waiting.  thankfully adam got the whole thing
on film, and will make it a mpeg sometime soon i'm sure, so we can all watch
my gearbox completely destroy itself.

    it was at this point that i was laffing about my misfortune, but still a
little pissed about the whole thing, when some asshole groundskeeper drove
by laffing and saying how i deserved it.  i chased the fucker down and got
in his face a bit, but thankfully nothing ensued.

    the situation went quickly uphill from there as horwood quickly offered
his CAA card to tow the rocco carcass, magnoli offered me his old 9A tranny
free of charge, and i found (thru magnoli) that one of the big promoters at
the show (410 auto) had a clutch kit back at his shop.

    we all headed back to alee's place to fix it up, and fix it we did.
horwood, marco, and myself got suited up and went to town.  sure, it took us
about 7 hours (7pm to 2am) from beginning to end, but there was a lot of
waiting and fiddling with things, teaching of the mad bastard on how things
all fit together, and greeting of people throughout the evening.  it was by
no means a direct job from start to finish.

    all i remember from saturday night was murray "the muscle" about ready
to lose it on bonhoff while talking about VR6s; a drunken sprewenburg giving
me the 411 on clutch chatter; having some abba tune stuck in my noodle;
singing happy birthday to my man daun (cammisa, you missed it, ya big
clotted tithair); robin's **fantastic** pasta salad; and some sex show on TV
that kept promising nudity, but never got around to it

    the tranny was finally finished around 2am, and i celebrated by topping
out my fifth gear on an empty street posted at 60.  i wonder what the fine
is for doing 150 over the limit?  hmm.  anyways, it was a success!  the
tranny felt, and still feels sort of questionable, so there's going to be
another tranny swap some time in the near future...

SUNDAY

    alee and i woke up late (i swear that it was the alarm clock!!  it
didn't work, really!!)

    actually, marco woke us up, and we quickly got ready and headed out.
now this run was fun.  it included a lot of excessive speed.  we hopped on
the 407 again, and i think that the first ones on it were myself, horwood,
marco, brett, and paully.  this time, however, horwood was driving alee's
2.0 16V mk1 GTI.  i really wanted to race him all out, cuz alee hates speeds
above 160, but i've been waiting to play with van sprew for way too long to
pass it up.

    so, i kinda held back for a bit, until paully, marco and angie, and
horwood flew past me.  i couldn't help it.  i had to go for it.  so i
punched it, and kept my foot in it for about 30 seconds to a minute.  at
this point, the rest of the crew were way back, except for brett who had
been standing on it for the whole time as well.  he caught me, but that was
because i slowed down to let him.  once we got side by side, we got into it
again.  however, to my dismay, he was in it for about 80% of his throttle,
while the floorboards of my car were bending from the weight of my foot.

    we were nose and nose, and brett punched it, and *walked* on me at about
200km/h.  that was cool, yet painful.  so, tehe moment he passed me, i
quickly got in line behind him, and drafted his ass to a tachometer-accurate
6400rpm in fifth gear on a 9A tranny.  speed: 213km/h (132mph).  that was
the last time that i looked at the tach before i pulled left and strongly
pulled past brett.  so i'm thinking that i probably pulled another few km/h
over and above the 213.  this was rolling on my 185.60.14 yoko A520s.  now
brett is saying that he hit 225, and if that's the case, then his final
drive must be 3.89, because according to the gear computer on scirocco.org,
to hit 225km/h at 7000rpm with 205.45.16s, then you need to have a 3.89
final.  we'll discuss this brett..

    right, so as brett said, we were into it for a few minutes.  topped the
fuck out on a cool, sunny morning, on a smooth road, with only a few cars
around.  the ones that were around were undoubtedly woken up by our
screaming motors rushing by them (in the left lane, of course).

    we eased back to about 150 or so and relaxed for a bit, and before you
knew it, paully was pulling up the rear.  he broke free from the pack and
chased us down.  fuckin paully.  so the three of us ended up on the onramp
to the 404 and were stuck behind someone in some green car.  the thing is
just a blob of green in my memory now.

    sitting behind this person made me feel like i was in bumper-to-bumper
traffic, so i decided that i would open the outside lane for business, and
flew past them.  brett, as he said in his email, was smashing his leg to get
rid of the cramp that had settled there through a combination of holding
himself into position while turning on an onramp at speed, and laffing at me
passing the people in the car.  classic.

    the rest of the way was pretty uneventful, tho i have to give credit to
everyone that was with us for keeping up.  special mention goes out to ellen
who, in her VR6 corrado, was always in the rearview.  i always pictured her
as being like a grade one teacher.  super-uptight about things, and
completely against speeding.  nothing could be farther from reality.  later
on that day she told me how she was bouncing the limiter in fifth at 125mph
(202km/h).  madness.

    anyways, the show was pretty cool, overall.  the sky was clear, and the
sun was shining, but it wasn't too nasty.  i entered my car in the show, but
that basically entails me opening the hood, locking the doors, and
disappearing for the afternoon.

    my fave cars of the show, in no particular order:

1. bokchoi's PHATASS mk2 VR6 golf
2. the kings' VR6 mk2 golf
3. vince/murray's VR6 mk2 golf
4. the asshole brothers 2-door mk1 jetta GLI with a 2.0 turbo 8V and 18"
rims (spring rates: front 900lbs, rear 800lbs) i callem assholes cuz they
always dissed my welfare-looking sciretta.  bitches
5. slammed green/grey caddy with a top and the rear window removed.  shaggin
wagon deluxe, ya'll.  my kinda camper
6. the tangerine 62 bug
7. the green/yellow metallic bug
8. autobahn speed tuning's super-done VR6 rabbit  please look here
http://www.autobahnspeedtuning.com/ for details.  you HAVE to see this car
in the flesh.  it's unbelievable
9. autobahn's VR6 synchro passat sedan

    while at the show, daun approached me about the possibility of replacing
his power steering pump.  since he had a good 9 hours worth of driving from
where we stood, i thought that it might be a good idea to help him out.  so,
horwood once again came through and offered his knowledge and experience.
daun picked up a used power steering pump from a vendor for $35CDN
($15-20US) and threw it into the trunk.  we all took off (except for
paully..what the fuck - where'd you go, guy?) and headed back to alee's
without waiting for the awards.  who cares, anyways?  oh, i guess jim and
brett did...

    on our way back to alee's, we got stuck at a light.  ellen in the VR
corrado, and my man jimmy-james (hathaway) in his mk2 digifart jetta, and me
behind...i can't remember who.  so, we start moving, and i have to
pauseshift my 2nd gear cuz it's pretty notchy (no worries, mark, it's cool),
but i catch up to them in a few seconds, and since the 2-lane road was
packed with one jetta and one corrado, i took the next logical route: the
shoulder!  it's smooth, not too dusty, and has lots of room!

    i passed on ellen's right side, and after the fact, i worried that she
might be pissed off at me for making such a move, but when she passed by me
at about 150+, she did so with a big fat smile on her puss, waving the whole
time.  the girl is nuttier than mr. hanky after a night at the pub...

    so the top-speed runs continued all the way down the 404 from
stouffville rd to the 407, for those of you that care, and when we hit the
407, we got into it again, but not to the point that we had done in the
morning.

    getting off the 407, we turned onto pine valley and scooted up to the
next of lights where marco and angie pulled up alongside of me.  angie to
jay: "what're you lookin at, bitch?" or some shit.  man, these wimmin are so
cool it hurts :)  so, marco and mistress angie are lined up at a sweet set
of lights with TMB, when ellen, behind marco and ang honks and tells me that
everyone has pulled over back at the offramp.

    i had a nasty feeling that it was alee's GTI, and sho nuff, horwood had
broken another one of our sleds.  motherfuck.  so we sat there for a bit,
trying to figure out what was wrong with the GTI, when hathaway, kindly
turned alee's cabby off, to alee's dismay.  i haven't mentioned it yet, but
alee's battery keeps dying in the cab, so letting it run allows the car to
be driven home.  turning it off allows nothing, but a tow (it's an automatic
that will eventually be converted to 5spd).

    after a few minutes, marco and ang, perry, james (and his buddy whose
name i can't recall), and ellen headed back up the road to alee's.  long
drives were ahead of most of them, so it's understandable that they wanted
to bail.  unfortunately, when they arrived at the door, with bladders
a-bursting, they were met with alee's dog - comanche.  AKA psycho killer dog
with sharp teeth and 110lbs of muscle.

    back to alee, who is literally ready to snap, hops into my car and we
head up to her place to get the family nissan pathfinder (love that
machine).  our intentions are to tow both of alee's cars, one at a time,
back to the homestead.  by the time we get back to the dead dubs, alee's cab
has been started, but the GTI is still dead.  the car has electrical, but
the fuel pump isn't working.  the starter isn't clicking either.  WTF?
after some probably unnecessary, but super fun "offroading" with the
pathfinder, we decide to strap the cables from the pathfinder to the GTI and
find out that the car seemingly has a problem with the alternator not
charging the battery.  this is confirmed about a kilometer down the road
where the car again stalls before entering the intersection of HWY7 and pine
valley.

    we strap the pathfinder to the car and slowly make our way to alee's.
on the way, sandor, andrew, peter, damian, and sundie manage to get in
behind alee's GTI and that's how it was til we got home.  it was absolutely
beautiful to see it.  made me feel like a fallen comrade was being taken to
the hospital, and the concerned friends were all there for protection or
something....weird

    we're finally at alee's place, and after a few conversations about this
or that, i changed into my grub outfit, and get underneath daun's car.
daun, horwood, and i got to work on the aforementioned power steering pump.
getting it off of the car was surprisingly free of hassle.  of course
bonhoff made short work of anything that i had trouble with.  i hate that
guy sometimes....

    we lacked a few tools, so horwood and myself headed to home depot and
grabbed what we needed, and a couple of things we don't need, when i pulled
a minor tom green on this couple at the register.  they had their cart with
a bunch of pieces of wood sticking out the back, and one of them was
perfectly eyelevel.  so i walked up to it and made an noise and an action
like i poked my eye with it.  while doing so, i hit the wood with my hand,
so everything synched nicely, especially since the couple purchasing it, and
the cashier just looked up as i did it.

    the woman looked _really_ concerned and i pulled my hands away from my
face, and she asked me if i hit my eye or something, and i said "no, i was
just kidding".  deathstare.  if looks could kill, she'd've slowly roated me
over the fire.  ask horwood.  he was laffing at my idiocy, i think...  it
was really quite funny, and after the initial shock, the couple sorta laffed
too...

    after that, we finished putting the car back together, and i managed to
watch about 14 seconds of waterfest burnout happiness.  ADAM...YOU MUST
CONVERT IT ALL TO MPEG (and than i have to copy that tape onto video)

    last thing that i remember from the night is alee sitting in the garage
with the lot of us talking dub/cleaning up and saying "i wonder if the wire
from the alternator fell off.  guess what.

    she figgered it out.  she's so smart.

    so we fixed that up, and the car runs again.  however, it is
experiencing some crazy stuttering problems at the moment.  we'll sort it
out somehow.

    aw jeez, i'm completely beat to hell right now.  for all of you who i
forgot to mention (al, todd, whoever), you all know what part you played in
the weekend (fro me anyways).  let's hear your sides of it.  this ability to
look at some many different angles of the same event is just fantastic.

    alright, i had an awesome time.  as brett said, the people rock.  i
can't wait til next year.

    i hope that everyone had at least half the fun that i had.  if so, then
this year's bugshow was a success.  ok, i'm falling asleep now.....

    lata!

jason
the mad bastard

> Toronto Bug Show weekend was great, mostly not because of the show, but
> because of the people I get to hang out with. :)  Here's a greatly
> condenced version...
>
> I arrived on Saturday afternoon, about an hour behind schedule, and I
> did my best to make up time on the 407 ETR by hitting 90+.
>
> I met up with Jim J & Robin, Daun, Angie, at Alee's house.  I jumped right
> in and washed my car while Jim and Daun washed theirs and found a new
tool:
> the bug schrunchie.  Ask Daun for details, it's great for removing really
> smashed on bugs.
>
> We then all piled into the Chrikroot Pathfinder to head for the autocross.
> The low-brow gatekeeper wasn't letting any non-vw's park in the lot (the
> buttcrack) so Alee tried to spray him with stones and we parked on the
side
> of road. :)  At the course we met up with Marco, Jason (TMB), Paul
(Botch),
> Perry, & Dave.  I'm sure there were others and I'm sorry I have forgetten
> to name them.  Matt, Jason & Perry were racing, and Paul was...being Paul.
:)