Question about setting mixture

After exorcising some fuel injection demons I m attempting to verify/set the
mixture.

According to Bentley this involves putting an ammeter across the terminals
of the Differential Pressure Regulator and measuring the current. It is
supposed to bounce up and down based on input from the O2 sensor but average
5 mA for a 1.8L 16V.

On my car when I connect the probes to the meter I get a reading of ~18mA
and then the car dies. Every time.

Did I miss something I was supposed to disconnect/swap/alter first?

The brief reading it does return is indicative of a very lean mix, which
would correlate with the hard hot-start behavior I am trying to cure, as
well as it running hot as it does.

Any thoughts on what might cause it to die like this?

TIA

Christian
87 16V