Re: The synthetic oil problem (warning, very very long.)

Eric L Ellis wrote:

> > Check the manual for the temps in your area. That said it seems the
> > thicker is a bit better, but then again that's my opinion. I'm using
> > 15w-50 Mobil in my 156 plus thousand GTI engine. It don't leak.
> >
> > Go from there,
> > TBerk
>
> Or better yet, start right here.
>
> Now for the people willing to learn something new, here it is in long
> form.
> <snip>
> NOTE TO ALL:
>
> I am NOT telling you that switching to synthetic motor oil will cause
> leaks in your "high mileage" engines. I'm saying that it is a
> possibility.
>
> I am NOT telling you that synthetic motor oils are bad. I rather enjoy
> them myself. (though i don't care for semi-synthetics or blends but
> that's just my opinion)
>
> I DO hope that this explains things for those wishing to UNDERSTAND the
> subject of synthetic motor oils. (vs "I use it and it's great.")
>
> I have seen the bad results and been adversely affected by the
> aforementioned swap as well.
>
> Eric
> Good, bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

OK,

Good stuff. (Time for a new tag line though?:)

I also put Mobil 1 in the Jetta (Al did while i was away at Waterfest.)
It had regular oil changes from what I could tell in it former life and
it has only had it a short while.

I don't intend to put it in the Rabbit as it's thoughrly thrashed and
needs much TLC.

If your engine is in decent shape then I say- switch to synth. Use
Mahle, Mann, Bosche filters. Change before 'ten thousand miles', in fact
I ussualy switch between 3k & 5k even though it might hang longer. In
fact you don't _have_ to use synth, but changing what ever you use for
fresh is best of all.

TBerk