More mirror ???

On the subject of mirrors,

Is it possible/practical to replace just the mirrors (as opposed to the
whole mirror housing) on a mkII? The edges of my drives side are
useless...can actually use about 40% due to what appears to be the
shiny stuff delaminating from the glass, but the motors still work
perfectly. The passenger side is glass cracked. I don't really want to
replace the whole assembly, just the actual glass mirrors.  I've got
the assemblies off the car, but can't figure out how to remove the
glass. Would recommend just replacing the whole assembly?

Tia,
-Keith