2 places to chek timing?

So i took my 87 16v to the local SmogPROS and they failed it...so I took it
to new dimensions to have it fixed so that it would pass smog, they adjusted
the timing, etc...and said it would pass..But that the clutch had been
improperly installed so it was blocking the regular place one would go to
check the timing...but that they could chek it on the other side of the
engine by the timing belt housing. Apparently this was too complex for
smogPROS and they could not handle the fact that there was another place to
chek the timing that didn't appear in their "book"..he claimed to smog
sciroccos everyday and that he was a professional...uuuhh..
riiiiight....well i still gotta fight to get my $24.95 back and in the mean
time hopefully ND can smog my car.

But all this talk about cheking the timing by the belt housing, you guys
heard of this, right? Is it as accurate?

-Tollef