Re: 2H trans installed...

On Wed, 16 Aug 2000 20:17:07 -0700 (PDT) kevin f <aventari@detonate.net>
writes:
> Actually, i JUST pulled my .71 5th from my blown FF and put it into
> my 9A a few weeks ago..
> It wasn't too hard, but there were a few small details that took a
> bit of work.
How did the .71 5th gear work with the 3.67 9A?
I'm doing the same thing to my 9A and I'm wondering if .71 is too much of
an overdrive...
I have an FF that I can rape, or I can use the .75 from my ACN.

> Hmm lesse if i can remember this.. :)
> [It's pretty much outlined in the Bently, so definately check that
> while your going along!]
> -You pull the fifth gear cover off of the tranny (duh!)
> -Then you remove the shaft that the shift linkage connects to.  (i
> think)
> -There's a 8 or 10 mm triple square bolt that holds the 5th gear
> cluster on the main shaft. (on my FF this bolt would NOT come out,
> it was rusted in. You're supposed to engage 5th and reverse gear at
> the same time to keep the shaft from turning while you unbolt it...
> it didn't work... Luckliy I had a huge hole in the differential case
> that I stuck a bar into to stop the shaft from turning.)
> -you must remove this circlip from the 5th gear that holds it on the
> shaft (the smaller shaft). it's a BITCH. the clip is tough, and our
> circlip pliers were weak. this is a 2 person job. I ended up opening
> the clip up, and sticking a screw driver under it, and working 2
> screwdrivers in, then pulling the clip up.. not easy, be careful cuz
> the clip popped off and nailed me right in the glasses at high
> velocity! (a la Christmas Story)  that could've sucked
>
> i just decided i'm not going to outline every last thing though, the
> manual does it fine :)
Geez... I was looking forward to reading your methods...

> one more thing: On the old FF, I had to cut off this metal sleeve on
> the end of the selector shaft that held the shaft in place so you
> couldn't pull the fork off.  (You have to pull the shift fork off of
> the selector shaft to pull the 5th gear cluster off.)
> I used a hack saw from the side, and you have to cut it at the
> dimples where it's been pressed in.
>
> Those are the main things i think. again peep the Bently for the
> pictures and stuff.
>
> i hope that made some sembalence of sense.
> GL!
>

> Kevin Fry
> 81 JH w/ 9A .71 5th

I just pulled the 5th gearset off of an ACN last night, and today I was
able to split the case.
It's a learning experience and this transaxle was shot anyway, missing
teeth on the ring gear and 3rd gear.

Here's the instructions and correspondence that my friend Crash sent me:

Here's what you have to do:

Wait, I have to warn you now...DO NOT remove the shift fork shaft!!!!
(it's
the shaft with the spring on the end) DONT take it out under any
circumstances, or you'll have to disassemble the entire transmission to
get
it back in. (Damn I hope you didn't take that thing out)

Okay, look at the shift fork where the shaft comes out of the
transmission.
Notice there are two flat pieces of metal at the base of the shift fork.
Carefully stick a screwdriver between the plates, and pry them apart.
This
is the adjustment lock plate for 5th gear.  Once the plate is loose, you
simply turn the shift fork adjustment threads (looks like a Golf/Jetta
front
strut nut with threads) until the shift fork is free of the shaft. Then,
carefully remove the entire assembly. Before unscrewing the assembly,
note
the position of the synchronizer ring when the transmission is engaged in
5th gear. Make sure it's in the same place when you install the other 5th
gear set. You should replace the little locking plate too, but if you
just
beat the splines flat with a hammer again, you can use it.

Just checking, but you did remove the 12 point bolt on the 5th gear,
didn't
you? (It's the same size as a head bolt) It's torqued on at around 115
lbs..so you'll have to work at it to get it off. (an impact gun works
well)

If you did indeed remove the bolt, then the gearset is being stubborn,
try
the two screwdrivers at the same time trick. If it still won't come off,
you'll have to get a puller.

Anyway, now that I pulled the 5th gears off of the junked ACN, I feel
better about ripping my 9A apart.
I have to replace the flange seals, so I'm planning on doing both at the
same time.

Peter
'79 Scirocco 16V project car
'83 GTI
'84 Scirocco, '80 Scirocco, '88 Scirocco 16V