cis-e 16v Tuning Problems

Hey everyone. Well, I feel beat down by my Scirocco tonight. I've been
almost embarrassed to ask questions on this problem thinking I would find an
obvious problem that would miraculously cure everything, but that hasn't
happened.

Here it is. My 2008 cc 16V motor has been running pretty well, but has this
problem of not liking full throttle unless you roll into it. If you go from
an idle to WOT, the motor will stumble and die. Once it dies, it is
unbelievable hard to start, like it was flooded.

So, tonight I decided to check the timing marks and they weren't exactly
right, and it seemed to be a bit retarded even with the distributor fully
advanced. I took off the belt and lined everything up, double checked the
distributor and fired 'er up. Advanced it to 6 degrees and it seemed to be
running much better. Then as I was about to pull out of the garage, I revved
'er up and she died again. I pulled the plugs out and they were blacker then
I've ever seen.

So I really have two questions (if you've kept reading this long, that
is)...
1)    When adjusting the mixture screw, clockwise is rich and
counter-clockwise is lean, right?
2)    Anyone ever hear of a motor stumbling and dieing at WOT from an idle?
What does this indicate?

Any advice will help. Thanks -- Craig Williams
2008 CC 16V, 1981 SciroccoS