Re: 90 amp alternator

On Sun, 13 Aug 2000 20:29:37 -0400 Brian C Barrows <ferret100@juno.com>
writes:
> I know this has been discussed before, but what do I need to do to
> install a 90 amp alternator?  The car is an '82 (1.7L) with air
> conditioning.
>
> Thanks,
> B.

You have to shim the pulley or get a different alt pulley.

I did the same conversion on my GTI... I removed the pressed in washer
inside the pulley, I then had it welded to the back of the pulley.
Then I used 2 large alternator washers ti line it up with the other
pulleys.

It's a real tight fit btw, at least the way mine was "clocked".
The +12 stud is very close to the lower radiator hose, in fact I grinded
the +12 stud down once the cable was secured.

Peter
'79 Scirocco 16V project car, 90A
'83 GTI, 90A
'84 Scirocco, 90A