Flood Car Question

Hey everyone-

My Sister was going to purchase a 1998 Golf for $9500, but after checking
http://www.carfax.com it turned out to be a flood car.
Her boyfriend called the guy and told him where to stick it-- then said
'I'll give you $1000 for it- Ill use it for parts- call me if you're
interested.'   Well, he called, and he MAY consider letting the car go VERY
cheap.

The car looks real clean. The interior must have been swapped out.  there's
no mud (that I could find) and it runs/ drives pretty darn good.

Soooo, the question is, if the car looks to be in OK shape, what are the
gremlins that can sneak up on ya from a flood damaged car?  The car went
thru all the correct 'channels' (pun intended)- the rebuildable
certification, re-titled, blah, blah, blah...

Thanks!

Chris Chemidlin
http://www.spredhaus.com