Gut the Cat?

Here in the good 'ole Soverign Peoples Republic of Michigan, we don't get
smog tests! (and probably never will, GM capital of the world)
I think my cat was expossed to muddy flood water (my car was under up to the
exhaust pipe).  The cat thing is probably jammed with debris and other crap.
I think the best course of action is to removed the entrails and jam a pipe
straight through it, so the muffler folks will still work on it.
Any warnings/suggestions.  What should I use as a makeshift power auger?
Thanks
Ben S.
84 8v
86 8v - project car