Re: 86 Scirocco found

> Now the questions:
> - can the paint buff out?
> - how much trouble/expense for a full exhaust system?
> - 13" wheels - upgrade to 14" or 15"?
> - can it really be 61K original miles?
> - is it worth $995?

  since this is apparently the same colour as my '86 (mars red), i can
truthfully answer that yes, the oxidation will buff out. as to all the
colours matching, that's another story (red's a bitch). the full exhaust
system depends on if you want name brand or cheap. someone on the list
(can't remember names too well) has cat's for something like $30 and
mufflers for $8 plus whatever shipping is. the pipes shouldn't be too
expensive. the 13"'s are okay, though after driving on 14"'s, i can tell
a difference. i have a set of teardrops w/ caps (no rubber) that i'd be
willing to sell if you're interested. as for the miles, who knows.
depends on what the car looks like. with the dents, it might have jut
been beat up a little and not driven a whole lot. on the other hand,
scirocco odo's are...sketchy to say the least. take it out for a ride
and see if the odo turns properly. i can say after 202k, my original
engine is still strong (the trans was replaced, though). if, indeed, it
only has that many miles on it and for that price and you're handy with
tools, get it. i paid $300 for one in worse shape and it runs great now
(with less than $300 put into it). looks ugly, but not the worst. at any
rate, performance wise, the 8v is equal to (if not a little better than
:) the 16v at low rpm's, though it'd get burned at higher rpm's.
cornering on 13" steel rims wasn't too bad either, believe it or not.
also, if cost is a factor, the 8v will be cheaper in the long run (vs.
the 16v) to maintain. good luck.

--
 /\_/\   Foxx (in a box)
< o o >  http://foxx.tripod.com