Re: Conversion Questions

fwiw - if your steering is really difficult you may
just have a bad manual steering rack.  The only time
mine is a pain is during parallel parking.  Lack of
grease over the years may be a problem... I found a
place with brand new racks for under $75 (not vw, but
for 75 vs 500+ who cares) if you are interested, pmail
me and I'll send you the info.  I dunno how much
Potterman has them for.

As for converting to AC... well, my AC isn't worth a
damn.  It sucks all the power out of the engine, and
you get enough air to cool the sweat forming on your
forehead.  The only time I used it was when I was
going on a date and didn't want to be as stinky as
normal...

--- Mark Peele <type53@yahoo.com> wrote:
> -- Matt Smith <beaker711@home.com> wrote:
> > Howdy list.
> >
> > Just wondering if it's possible to convert a
> > non-A/C, non-P/S 85 8V Scirocco
> > to an A/C P/S rocco.  Since summer is almost over,
> > A/C is not a required
> > fix, but my popeye forearms are leading people to
> > believe things other than
> > having a non P/S car.
>
> Yes, you can add PS and A/C to any Scirocco. But are
> you sure you want PS on a 2100 lb car? My 110 lb
> girlfriend does not have Popeye forearms, and she
> does
> quite well with her 1978 Scirocco! Maybe there's
> something wrong with your steering rack . . .
>

> > Also, how do you get the hex nut off the
> alternator
> > housing.  Mine's toast
> > and I can get all the other bolts off except that
> > one.
>
> Vice grips usually work for me . . .
>
> Good luck!
>

> =====
> Mark Peele
> 1981 Scirocco S, 1982 Scirocco, 1978 Scirocco, 1987
> Golf GT
> http://www.scirocco2.de/mark.htm
> Direct Mail: SCIROCCO_GTX@YAHOO.COM
> Need parts? try http://www.parts4vws.com/
> (Potterman)
> or http://www.germanautoparts.com/ (Adirondack)
> or http://www.newdimensions.com/ (TurboTim)

=====
Mark
Just because you have an opinion, doesn't mean that anyone wants to hear it

87 Westfalia Gl
84 Scirocco 8v
http://student.fortlewis.edu/~mwmages/