Re: gas gauge in cluster not working..help

>From: "Victor Farren" <vfarren@rrs.cdie.org>
>To: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
>Subject: gas gauge in cluster not working..help
>Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 13:23:00 -0400
>
>As the title says, it usually reads no gas, or 1/4 tank, even when
>full.
>
>I removed the back seat and unscrewed the black cap to access the in
>tank pump.  I unplugged the wiring harness, put some dielectric grease
>on the connectors and plugged it back in.  The gas gauge worked
>properly for about 2 days, then back to crap.

	I'm sure this won't address your particular problem but I had a similar
malady on my '81 where the maximum level that the gas gauge would read
dropped to about a quarter tank.  After verifying that the sender was
electrically kosher by measuring the resistance through its travel (check
Bentley for values), I discovered that the plastic ball float had a tiny
crack in it which allowed it to partially fill up with gas, causing it to
sink.  A ball swap (heh) and everything was back to normal.  The lesson:
trouble lurks everywhere.  HTH, benton-----