Re: ND reservations now media show coverage

On Sun, 23 Apr 2000 13:49:01 -0700 "Kris Rayner" <veritech@fix.net>
writes:
>my view on the mags is a little different....I find some of the articles

>EC has to be quite interesting and they do have some good articles
>by James Sly...the 2.0L conversion article comes to mind....

In my view, Mr. Sly is the ONLY credible writer that EC has. Too bad he's
going down with the ship.

>SCC....I find some of the stuff they do to be
>really hokey....what was that line on project civic SI..."all in all we
>shaved off 135lbs and only had to sacrafice our comfort and
>safety"...Don't get me wrong, they do have some interesting
>articles, but as far as technical articles go, the guys are virging on
>hacks...

Im not really sure if you READ the entire article Kris. You might just be
speaking in general terms which is fine, but for the sake of discussion,
3 paragraphs long so I will copy it here for you:

"While you are on your knees wallowing in a pool of sweat and tar, you
might notice a big, shiny metal thing. Resist the temptation.

Under the bottom rear seat cushion, under the rear edge of the carpet, is
a big, three piece metal brace. The way that its built suggests that it
is a side-impact reinforcement. In other words, its there to save your
life. That would seem like a solid enough argument to leave it in place,
but there's more. Zellener also claims that it adds significantly to the
chassis regidity. He even leaves them in place on race cars with full
cages.

Of course, we learned this after we had removed ours and found the weight
to be 22 lbs."

Then to continue on with the paragraph that you brought up in your post:

"In all, we shaved over 135 lbs from our car and only had to sacrifice
our comfort and safety in the process. Obviously there are many serious
downsides to all that we did, and most sane people wouldn't want to
follow in our footsteps. But if speed is what you are after, lightness
has no substitute. Yes, you can feel a 135lb difference when driving the
car. It feels good."

At least they're not telling everyone to do these mods without also
pointing out the hazards. Its a well written article (series really.)
which goes much further than most all of the EC writers (with the
exception of Mr Sly of course) in regards to what they did, how they did
it and even weighed the stuff they removed. To my knowledge, its much
further than Peter Wu has ever dreamed of taking a project beyond having
somebody else bolt a go-fast part on HIS car and then tell us "it felt
better". I cant see where SCC ever done a hack job of an article (or
series) like EC has. I dunno man, I just find SCC articles much more
refreshing that EC. Even if the car of discussion is a Honda. Doesnt
matter to me, if its a good article, I will read it.

Their series on the project Volvo turbo wagon kinda made me want one.
Same thing with the Subaru. I think that's the general idea of a well
written article, to make you want one of whatever they're talking about.
Ya know? :)

Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi   82' Scirocco GTi   81' "Project Scirocco FSP"
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and