16v tranny to MK1...

I have been toying with the idea of swapping a 16v tranny (AGB)
into my mk1 scirocco.  What options do I have doing this...?
Could I simply swap my 90mm drive flanges over to my 16v tranny
to replace the 100's?  This way I could keep my 90mm axles and
make it simple...is there any better way?

Anyone mated a 16v tranny to a 1.8 8v before?  Do you like the
gearing and increased acceleration or do you wish you still
had a long ratio gearbox...?

Thanks for any thoughts and help!

=====