Re: More timing belt questions.

The stock JH motor is 8.5:1 and is not an interference motor.  It _IS_ a
1.8L motor, but usually on this list 1.8L refers to a 1.8L 16V, and 2.0L
refers to the 2.0L 16V.  1.6, 1.7 and 1.8L 8V motors are generally lumped
into the 8V category... :)

Generally only motors with compression ratios of 10.0:1 or higher are
interference motors.  I think a deciding factor for valve damage also
revolves around the valve's angle to the piston.  16V motors tend to be
worse for valve damage I think because the valves are coming into the
combustion chamber at different angles than the high compression 8V
motors.  I have not personally seen any 8V high compression motors trash
their valves (with the exception of a few diesels), which is not to say
that it doesn't happen, just I don't think it's quite as often as with the
16V motors (at least not with North-American spec motors, anyways.)

I have seen diesel motors where a valve will smack a piston hard enough to
leave an impression in the crown, but not bend the valve, because the
valve is pretty much straight up-and-down over the piston, while on the
16V the valves are angled to the crown, meaning they're begging to be bent
when they get smacked... :)

Hope this helps,

Drew

On Thu, 20 Apr 2000, John Karpus wrote:

>  Is the "JH" 8v engine an interference engine, will that engine go to if the
> timing belt snaps?
>
>     Also is the "JH" engine one the engine referred to as 1.8L?
>
> thanks,
>

> Johnny
> 1983 Scirocco KARMANN - Black
> 1998 Cherokee Sport Chile Pepper Red

Drew MacPherson, Network Analyst, University of Guelph

drew@dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca           |  visit the Massey-Harris page:
http://dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca/~drew   |  http://m-h.cs.uoguelph.ca