Worked on my MK1 today, got some questions.

Yee Hah.
Well I worked on the Mars-tt all day. What a wonderful day.

I installed my Mocal oil cooler finally which led me to start pondering.
Q1.   After driving it VERY hard for 1/2-hour or so the temp never went over 180 deg. It used to vary between 200 and 210deg. most of the time. I use Redline 20W50 Synthetic. Is it possible to run the engine too cold, or not hot enough. The sandwich plate has a thermostat in it and appears to be working correctly.

Q2    I noticed that when I pulled off the oil filter, the Synthetic oil was a med. brown. The engine now has about 8K miles on it and the oil has about 2K on it. Is this normal, I kinda figured it would still be fairly golden colored. Would this darkening be due to overheating the synthetic, running too rich a fuel mixture, ???

Q3   When I put the cooler on it was dry (no oil). My assumption was that when the engine heated up it would flow through the cooler and at that point the engine would slowly lose oil pressure and end up low on oil. I ran the motor until I felt the cooler lines get hot. Then I let her run for another 30 sec. or so and shut her down.
I then put another qt. of redline in and checked the level. It was right at full 8) exactly as I had expected. I was wondering though if you can get air in the system and cause a pressure problem or does it take care of itself. (my oil pressure gauge isn't working and I haven't replaced it yet so I don't know what the pressure is at)

I also managed to:
Install my freshly painted radiator fan shroud, fan, and alternator.

Installed all the Non-AC pulleys and now my new belt lines up perfectly with the crank, WP and alt. I couldn't believe how much wt. I shaved by doing this. The AC dual crank pulley setup uses a thick steel pulley, another piece with 4 studs, half dozen steel shims and two pulley halves. Non ac just uses a lightweight sheetmetal pulley. I must have taken off 3-5 lbs. of rotating wt. Kinda like lightening the flywheel but on the other end of the crank. 8)

Cleaned, waxed and put my un-cracked OEM "S" spoiler back on the car.

Cleaned my "black" revolutions (wow they are silver, almost forgot).

Cleaned and waxed the original paint.

I just had to stand back with pride when I was finished....sniff, sniff (wiping the a tear from my eye). They just don't make cars with this kind of classic beauty anymore. It is days like this that make me realize that I will probably own this car till I die.  Just thought I'd share. :)

Thanks for any advise on the above questions.
Keep on Scirokn!

Randy B
81 Cosmos Scirocco S - future project
81 Mars Scirocco S - tt 1847cc 8V (Very happy now)
87 gold Scirocco 16V - soon to be a 2.0