[A2] dash problem

Doc...  I wanna kill.  I wanna kill, doc!  KILL!!

Sorry...

OK, so all I want to do is get my Jetta ready to sell.  I swapped the CD
player out of it into my 944 and put the 944's factory radio into the
Jetta.  At first, I didn't have the radio properly hooked up, so it
didn't store the presets.  I went back in and got that done, but now when
it runs the water temp. idiot light constantly flashes until the parking
lights come on, at which point that idiot light, along with the clock and
tach, die.  I have the dash torn apart and am trying to solve the
problem, but to no avail.  Any ideas?

Also, I'm not getting alot of clicking from the engine, which sounds like
the lifters.  I'm thinking that since the car hasn't been driven for the
past week and a half, the lifters probably lost alot of their oil and
will shut up after driving a few minutes.  Is this a likely scenario?

In addition, my central locking system crapped out during all of this,
which is just plain peachy!

Any help would be helpful!  I'm off to get a Corona...

Thanks,
B.

'82 Scirocco (a.k.a. "Fritz")
'85 Jetta (soon for sale)