RE: What hapens when you drop a belt on a 16v?

--- Shannon Fenton <sfenton@amazon.com> wrote:
> I have heard of only one case of
> a broken TB and not stuffing any valves. Very rare.
> Your almost sure to have a head to rebuild or worse.

Add my case to the list.

Mine broke about two months ago as I was traveling
about 45MPH at about 2,300 RPM. I heard a noise
similar to a bottle rocket whizing off, then engine
died, took it out off gear and coasted around the
corner to a stop. Now me not being familiar with a
broken timing belt, I tried to start it but it just
turned over but wouldn't start. I did this a good 10
to 14 times after having checked fuses, spark(at
various points) etc.

The point I'm making is that after having the timing
belt, cam pulley(due to broken tooth that actually
caused the belt to go), and three seals later, they
did a compression test and it checked out fine, no
apparent valve damage.
I've been using it as a daily driver and the only
thing different since I took it in for the belt is the
idle seems a bit flaky(fluctuates 100-200 rpm at
idle). They may have adjusted something wrong.

Jeff Lowe
Garland, Texas(Temporarily in Italy)
86' Scirocco 16V
59' Euro Spec Beetle