Re: [Scirocco] Wheel Question

OK Dave,... Let me see if I understand.  We (that's the collective
"Scirocco driving" we) spend bunches of money to squeeze horsepower out
of our engines, or to swap 16V engine into them.  Then we spend more
money on high dollar springs and struts and swaybars.  We do all of this
to improve the performance of our car.  Then, for purely cosmetic
reasons, we put heavy, performance robbing wheels on them so "we be
stylin'"?  I guess I'll skip the style and start hunting for some
performance wheels and tires.  You have opened my eyes.  I just want to
be able to embarrass Camaros and Mustangs and the occasional Beemer,...
I'm more interested in "go" than "show".  Also, the low aspect ratio
tires (<50) cost more than the 60-70 series models.

> Weren't you the one that mentioned about picking up a TSW wheel and
noticing
> how heavy it was?  You said that it was aluminum, and I am 90% sure TSW
> doesn't make an aluminum wheel.  They have alloy wheels.  If it was
> aluminum, it would have been noticeably lightweight.

I said aluminum.  I guess what I meant was not steel.  I didn't check the
tag for the metallurgical composition.  (Would they even say?)

> In the end, big wheels are expensive and the tires required aren't
cheap
> either.  You can find a very decent set of 13" Panasports (used) and
mount a
> 205/60/13 tire on them to have a wheel with more contact patch than a
14"
> with 185/60/14.  Since the sidewalls on the 13's are so tall, the risk
of
> bends would be very minimal.  If you want cheap, don't look at big
wheels.
> The majority of the gains are cosmetic.

How wide a wheel would you need for a 205/60-13?

> Now, if I could only find a cheap set of 13" Panasports...

If you find two sets let me know!

-kevin in Texas