Re: euro parts here, american parts there?

Clear taillights are just wrong. Cars are not designed to have them.
This is why you think they look so bad. You need to see the red. Red means
stop!

As for the design trend, cars are more international now. In the old days
the US
was the world's only consumer. Most of the other countries were rebuilding
after
serious destruction from war times. The US car companies were too focused on
the
US market. Now US manufactures need to compete so cars are now being
marketed in other countries. This has changed the design of cars.

Do folks in other countries want our DOT tunsignals and bumpers?
Well you need to understand a little more about why the Europe modifications
are done.
Driving in Europe is much different than the US. The roads are different and
the
speeds are different. People drive much differently. Gas is much more
expensive.
Sciroccos and other 70's and 80's Euro cars were designed in Europe to be
driven in Europe
in Euro trim. The US DOT made the imports have the extra lame stuff.
The DOT is run by politicians that listen to mothers that want drunk kids to
survive a 200 mph head-on collision. As a "tax" or a disincentive to the
European car
buyers the DOT forced the importers to redesign the cars to meet the lame
standards
of US cars. The US headlights were not aloud to have removable bulbs because
someone could
put a powerful bulb in and blind a oncoming drunk driver and make him swerve
and hit an innocent
child that was walking home from tuba practice at 7PM. All the lame
additions made the Euro cars heavier,
slower and more expensive. We are just replacing the lame stuff to make the
car like the designers intended
them to be. The white gages were done on American cars in the 50s. The white
gages are more ergonomic.
The Europeans made the gages black and the US followed. In Europe some
people will want some of the US spec stuff
just to be different but for the most part the DOT stuff is not popular. The
MK2 US framed headlights were
offered on the early European Scirocco models. The glass is not the same on
the other hand. I would put H4s
and H1s on my standard frames if I did not have the Big lights on my MK2
even if I lived in Europe.

Today World cars are offered. This means that a car is designed to meet all
of the standards of all the countries.
The days of different bumpers and headlights are coming to an end. Now
people just want to personalize
the car they drive. So the people that market the parts just put  a
different color of plastic in the mold and sell the
tail lights as after market. The profit is great. Just go to the local Pep
boys or Track Auto and you will see
lots of crap that is for sale for American cars. You see the same stuff in
other countries but it is for
cars that are more popular like Hondas or VWs.  The rest of the world would
love to drive a Vett in full Las Vegas
trim wearing an Elvis suite but in the US we think that this is tacky.
Other countries look at the stuff that we put
on our cars and call it tacky too. We call it RICE.

Doug
87 16v silver Scirocco "GTX"
81 8v red Scirocco "S"
90 16v 2.0 wht Passat wgn 5 speed