CV joint and Car experience

I just replaced the inner CV boot and cleaned/regreased the Inner CV
joint...After doing this, i thought I would give a couple tips to those who
are going to do work on the inner CV or outer CV (only some of it applies to
the outer one)...The first one pertains to either the inner or outer CV job
on the drivers side...When you are pulling the whole CV and  axle assembly
out, don't go by what the Bentley says...It says to take out the ball joint
or something...This is a pain if the control arm is stuck...What you can do
instead is turn the steering wheel all the way to the left...This gives you
enough room to pull the axle/CV's out...Just push the inner CV up above the
final drive flangeand pull the outer CV and axle out...Second tip is
regarding the re-assembly of the inner CV joint...When I first did this, I
did it wrong...The Bently is once again wrong...Make sure that the grooves on
the innermost part of the joint or going the opposite way of the
corresponding grooves on the outermost part of the joint...So you should have
large gap going to small gap...This will make sense once you see the CV joint
all cleaned up...Once you have the CV together, it should be able to move
freely...If it doesn't move, you did it wrong...You lined the grooves up so
that they match instead of forming an "X"...Take a rubber mallet and tap on
once side of the inner race until you get it out and try to put it together
again...These were the two hardest parts for me...Hope this helps
somebody...I know these tips are pretty obvious, but they sure weren't for me
today...They are now that I understand it though...A great experience...My
first real good long job on the car...

Stephen Mull
'86 8v Rocco Black
Seattle, WA