Re: Can a 1.8 16V tranny withstand a 2.0 L

The 1.8l 16v transmission is essentially the same thing as the 2.0l isn't
it? Regardless, the extra displacement isn't even enough to phase a Rabbit
GTI trans. Hell, my rallycar has about 150 ponies and I'm constantly going
from high to low traction and back. After four years of rallying the box is
in need of 2nd gear synchros but thats about it.

As Dale mentioned, the clutch will be the first weak link on a *very*
powerful motor. The stocker is good to about 170. A buddy of mine with a
turbo 1.8l 16v dragrace Rabbit goes through 4k and 2h boxes after about 25
11 second passes. YMMV...

--
Scott F. Williams
NJ Scirocco nut