EGR Valve

Hello All

New to list, new to VW's
I recently bought a 1987 Scirocco 8V 1.8
I have done complete tune (NEW  oil,filters,plugs,cap,rotor,wires,cataletic) and my car failed emission twice 1st time failed NOX  ( 4.5 grams/mile) 2x over they said new cataletic will fix , got one  today failed 2nd time NOX (4.21)  2.5 max they said I am missing EGR Valve, I read up on it a little so I kind of know what it does,, local (Phoenix, AZ) part stores don't have.
Dealer Item?   Junk yard?    any input greatly appreciated
Thx
Ron Tanner
87 Scirocco 8v