Re: A question on fuel grades or octane

My Techtonics 1847 8V runs a compression of about 9.7:1 with just CIS. I
have the ignition set at 32 deg. of final advance and the camsprocket at 3
deg. of advance. I have been able to run as low as 89 oct without pinging
except for once. Remember this one Neil? Neil was in the car with me while
trying to keep up with Ruben in his Audi A4 chipped 1.8T. With my foot to
the floor around 90+mph It started pinging very lightly so I had to back off
the throttle and let Ruben leave me in his dust :(
I have kept track of the mpg since the motor had 0mi. on it. When I run the
91 (wish we had 93 in CA) I get a consistent 33-35 mpg. When I run the 89
that drops to about 27-29 and the car feels low on power.
I have been using 76 gas (anyone have problems with this gas) whenever
possible and am very consistent in my overzealous use of the brake and
accelerator. This has been my experience.

Anyone have any experience with adding Toulene to your tank to increase
octane. (A muscle car friend of mine used to talk about doing this)

Randy B
Mars 81 Scirocco S - t t 1847cc 8V
Cosmos 81 Scirocco S - future project
Gold 87 Scirocco 16V - parts, or another future project?

Jorel wrote:
<snip>

...what about a
Scirocco? Have I been wrong to use the 91 octane fuel?
<snip>

Nathan wrote:
<snip>
...and I preformed a little test. I put $10 dollars of premium in an empty
tank and went so many miles, I then bought $10 of Regular after I had
emptied out the Premium.  I wrote down the comp. info  reset the computer
and proceded with the test. My results was that even though I got more gas
buying the Regular, I went about the same distance with the premium, and of
course the car ran better. The computer showed the average mile/gallon and
favored the premium by far.
<snip>
Since then I have never put anything but premium in my cars,
<snip>