Re: (16v) Thermo-time Swtich

Hi,

> Toby,
>
> You said that you verified by using a test light at the wiring harness that the
> cold start valve is getting the proper signals, right?  And you also verified
> that the cold start valve is operating when the voltage is applied to it.  So
> considering that, I don't understand why you conclude the thermo-time switch is
> bad when you've just verified that it's not.

The wiring harness at the cold start valve is not getting a proper signal:

  > > on the injector tip. I followed bentley's instructions aiming it into a
  > > transparent container and cranking the engine. Nothing came out. Finally I

Sorry I see now that that was not very clear, but a test light across the
cold start valve harness connectors didn't light up when cranking the
engine cold. The wiring harness tested good, and the other signals (not
the ones from the thermo time switch to the cold start valve) going to the
thermo time switch and cold start valve tested good.

> That aside, the symptoms you describe sound more like the control pressure
> regulator or some other problem that causes you to be too lean when cold.

I don't have a control pressure regulator, its a 16v. Perhaps you meant
the differential pressure regulator?

> Before worrying about that, follow the Bentley procedures to verify that your
> air-flow plate is adjusted properly, and verify the signals to the idle
> stablizer valve.

Hmm, I have not checked the air-flow sensor plate. I'll do so.

Idle stabilizer is buzzing with ignition turned to 'on'. Haven't tested it
otherwise. Throttle body switches cause changes in engine running when
switched.

> If all that checks out, then check the spray pattern on all your
> injectors.....replace the seals if they are hard/brittle.  Be sure your ignition
> system is in good condition.

I have an all new ignition system except for the coil (new plugs, plug
wires, dist cap, dist rotor, brand new bosch distributor + hall sender).

New fuel filter, air filter, battery, battery cables, oxygen sensor,
timing belt, exhaust downpipe, vacuum hoses, and regulator.

I do still have a small exhaust leak. There is a hole in the bottom of the
rear muffler.

Haven't checked injector spray pattern (except for CS injector, which was
good), but I did replace both seals on each injector.

> If all that checks out, then it's time to check the system pressure.  Good luck.

I'm probably going to borrow a fuel pressure gauge and test the pressures.

> Bill

Thanks,

-Toby

--